Wednesday, July 15, 2009
sunrise
As I run down the dusty dirt road these early Ugandan mornings, I often wonder if the people I pass- the men riding their bike bodas, women & children filling up jerrycans at the pump, kids walking to school- notice the hot pink turning to bright orange to yellow sun rising over the cornfields. I have never in my life seen such beautiful sunrises. It gives new meaning to the verse tattooed on my skin. "The heavens declare the glory of God; the sky above displays His handiwork. Day to day pours out speech. Night to night reveals knowledge..." Psalm 19. The night sky is similarly breathtaking. With the lack of light polution, I see more stars than you can possibly imagine. Everything is so beautiful. Uganda is beautiful. It is easy to pray then too, even with the trail of children and teenage girls who decide to join me on these morning runs. "Mzungu byyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeee" is what the kids chant everywhere we white skinned people go. It is muscial and makes me smile. I say "jambo" "good morning" as I jog by and they laugh and laugh. Only two weeks left and while I think I'm ready to go, I still get sad thinking about leaving this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I want to see those things! Thanks for your amazing descriptions that help me picture the beauty! Love you! Miss you!
ReplyDeleteMy incredible daughter. I can't wait to see you.
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful vacation in Europe--you deserve it! Love you something awful!! Gammie
ReplyDelete