Sunday, May 31, 2009

No more cereal in Iganga

When I lived at my parents' place, before I moved to North Carolina when I was 18, my mother had the fabulous idea of having each one of us kids cook a meal once a week. (4 kids = 4 times a week my mom didn't have to cook... brilliant huh? I know, if you're reading this mom, you're going to have something to say about that. :) Anyway, I've been on my own for nearly a decade now and, unless you love to cook, which I don't, when you have no one but yourself to cook for, cereal serves as a fine meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Throw some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in there once in awhile for variety, and you're set. Kelley...Lindi... how often do you remember me cooking when I lived with you? Probably never.

Well you see, cereal isn't really an option here. And I just discovered that we are in charge of both buying our own food at the market and cooking our own meals and, trust me when I say, it is NOTHING like trying to cook in the US. Oh dear. Mom, hopefully I learned something. Thank you for trying anyway.

So I've arrived in Iganga which I'll talk more about in a later post but first, perhaps some of you have been able to take a look at the photos I've posted from our hike to Sipi falls over the weekend. That was two days ago, on Saturday. Apollo, the physical therapist at the hospital, who is probably going to end up being my closest friend here, and Isaac, also staff at the CURE hospital (not sure what he does), came with me. Isaac is from Kapchorwa, where Sipi falls is located, and we brought him along so we didn't have to hire a tourguide. It was absolutely beautiful. After we returned to Mbale, I spent the evening with Julie, Derek and Lisa and Derek and Julie cooked an amazing dinner for us (that was for you Dad) and we watched Slumdogg Millionaire. I know, I know, thus far, I'm sure it doesn't really sound like I've spent the past week in Africa. I promise, I'm here.

I will post more later today or tomorrow about Iganga and what it is like here (its much different from Mbale) but first I'm going to go explore and get the crash survival course/tour through the town and market.

You'll hear from me soon!

5 comments:

  1. Bananas and jackfruit - no cooking involved. You could probably survive on that for two months. Although, you may want to look for some peanut butter and bread in the market. I don't remember seeing any jelly.

    Maybe I will have to come over to cook for you since I seem to have failed in my attempts to broaden your horizons in that area. Perhaps Outback night was the culprit. (Sorry, you may not have wanted to bring that image to mind right now.)

    Love and Prayers,
    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom-
    Outback night came along well after I was out of the house. Aaaaaaaaaand you didn't let me keep Dinah.

    Jen = wounded spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. there was one time you made this fantastic salad with onions, beef, tomatoes and a homemade dressing. i still crave it sometimes and have no idea how to make it. other than that- we made a lot of Mrs. Francis Eggs- isn't that what you called them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well then, maybe we should blame it on pizza and laundry night and watching too much Star Trek on Sunday afternoons.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really easy recipe for me:

    Cook some rice and mince a handful (total) of a few veggies (peppers, onions, garlic, anything). Fry the veggies up until tender and crack an egg into it (sunny side up). Add salt and pepper (I figure that you don't have Oyster Sauce, which is the original topping to this dish) and eat over the rice.

    Really fast and simple, veggies, carbs, and protein and enough for a bowl-full. No need to worry about leftovers and all you need is one pan and a pot for rice.

    ReplyDelete