First off, I wanted to post the link to the video Uganda Village Project (UVP) sent us interns to give us more information about what to expect this summer. You may find it interesting and hopefully it will give you a better idea of the setting. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7CLccVQivo
Also, and I may have posted this before but the website for the organization I'll be working with is: www.ugandavillageproject.org
Here are some photos of the UVP office, which is where my team will be staying:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ugandavillageproject/UVPNewHomeInIganga#
The specific project I'm working on is the eCare project, which I'll explain more about in a second, but here is our twitter page: http://twitter.com/ecareproject
The link to the twitter page for UVP in general is: http://twitter.com/uvp
So, in terms of what I'll be doing this summer, here is a fairly brief summary (and feel free to post questions):
I will be in Uganda
I will be leading the Emergency Care team and we will be working to assess the current knowledge and needs regarding obstetrical emergencies as well as educating trained birth attendants, other health care workers and the community to better recognize these emergencies and ultimately prevent maternal and neonatal death. Eventually, we will build upon the information gathered this summer and garner community support to develop a comprehensive EMS System during a later phase of the project.
Another huge component of this project is building a partnership with the local district hospital, which is where a lot of the assessment will take place. This project is part of a larger initiative and we are working as part of a coalition, attempting to partner with other NGOs, the Ugandan government, the community and the district hospital. We are hoping to help build capacity in the hospital and relationships to ensure sustainability. The initial assessment phase will be key so that we can develop quality initiatives to improve maternal and child care, particularly at this hospital, where women typically go simply to die. Uganda has an incredibly high maternal mortality rate, which is why this project is so important.
That's all for now but I'll be back soon...
P.S.-
Here are a few more sites that you may want to check out if you're bored.
UVP photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ugandavillageproject/
UVP blogspot: http://ugandavillageproject.blogspot.com/
More UVP photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/ugandavillageproject
UVP cause on facebook: http://apps.facebook.com/causes/16315?m=64b58838
Oh and thank you to all of you who have made contributions to my trip! If you haven't received a support letter from me and would like to, let me know! I'd be happy to take some money off your hands. On a serious note, I really am thankful for all of your prayers and support. Thank you thank you thank you!
With love,
Jen

No comments:
Post a Comment