Tuesday, March 10, 2009

As seen through the eyes of a three year old

So this really has nothing to do with any of my past and future travels but I want to put into writing the wisdom that I'm gaining through my interaction with the precious three, almost four-year-old that I take care of a few afternoons a week. I seriously wish that I had a tape recorder when I'm with him because every word that comes out of that kid's mouth is worth saving. It is impossible to have a bad day when you're with Ty.

Yesterday, our time together began when I picked him up from preschool. As we were walking to the car, he said something about how the daffodils were starting to pop up. I asked him to show me where, which was apparently a slight mistake because he goes over to this woman's garden and plucks one out of the ground, sweetly looks up at me and hands me the flower. "It's for you," he said with a shy smile. Quite cute but I'm hoping that the true owner of the flower was not watching.

A snapshot of our conversation in the car ride back to his house:

Ty: "Do you know what a glowing orange round ball is called?"
Me: "Nope. Tell me."
Ty: "A burning ember. You have to be careful because they're hot and can catch trees on fire."

Me: "Do you like country music?"
(He completely ignored the question, which Ty tends to do a lot when he doesn't feel like answering or doesn't know the answer.)
Ty: "Do you know why they call it counTREE?"
Me: "Nope. Why?"
Ty: "Because there are many trees."

So at this point, we're home and playing in the backyard. I was sitting on the deck reading and he was in the sandbox filling up a bucket with sand, pretending that he's cooking something. He calls me down to eat the chocolate crackers that he's made for me.

Ty: "I think I made too much. Well, we can eat 'em everyday. Chocolate crackers."
Me: "Ty you know chocolate is my favorite."
Ty: "Yeah that's why I made them. Come get some."
Me: "Well why did you make so much if there are only two of us?"
Ty: "So you can eat some every time you come over here."
Me: "Okay."
Ty: "But it's just pretend."
Me: "Well it's okay to pretend."
Ty: "Well yes as long as you don't actually put it in your mouth."
Me: "Yeah."
Ty: "But sometimes I forget and I do."
Me: "How do you make chocolate crackers?"
Ty: "You put in lots and lots of chocolate. And dough. And sugar."

So there you have it folks. Chocolate crackers. He proceeded to create a farmers market which I went shopping at and asked for chicken and apples, which were buried in the buckets of chocolate crackers so I had to eat them all mixed all together. Gross. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment